The Trust was founded by a deed dated 22 December 1885 by Sarah Leticia Berrow in memory of her parents. A few years earlier her father had purchased the site, previously known as The Bowling Green, probably with the intention of erecting the Homes or something similar. Miss Berrow carried out his wishes by building the four cottages facing the Warwick Road. Later, the gardener’s house, Clinton Cottage, was converted into three more dwellings, now known as Nos. 2, 4 and 6 Kenilworth Road.
A development of 22 single person flats in the grounds of the original Home was completed in 1976. Then in 2009 a community block, Mary Galloway House, was built, comprising of a day room for residents which can double as a guest suite. At the same time an additional flat for a couple and a laundry facility were provided.
The Charity is administered by voluntary trustees and day-to-day administration is carried out by the Clerk to the Trustees and the Homes Manager (Warden).
Almshouses are unfurnished dwellings, usually specially designed with the needs of older people in mind. The aim is to provide comfort, convenient and caring accommodation in a setting which allows residents to live independently, coming and going as they please.
In order to pay for the running of the properties, a weekly maintenance contribution is payable and residents must comply with the terms of the licence for the occupation of the homes, as set out in the resident’s handbook. Being an Almshouse Charity there is no rental agreement as normally exists for let properties.